Do Americans fear Rhode Island political jobs?
Posted on December 1, 2014
While some jobs are coveted, some jobs, like Rhode Island political jobs, are feared, according to a new survey from job board Careerbuilder.
10 Jobs That Strike Fear in American Workers’ Hearts
- Politician: There are 56,857 politicians/legislators in the U.S.
Median hourly pay (state and local level): $14.77
Average salary in 2014 (U.S. Senators and members of the House of Representatives): $174,000/yearScary for those who fear: Responsibility; accountability to a large number of people; rejection.
- Microbiologist for Infectious Diseases: In general, there are 20,800 microbiologists in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $33.27Scary for those who fear: Germs; Ebola; accidentally leaving the hazmat suit at home.
- Security Guard at Teen Pop Idol Concert: In general, there are 1,163,023 security guards in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $11.88Scary for those who fear: Getting trampled by screaming tweens.
- Kindergarten Teacher: There are 158,084 kindergarten teachers (non-special education) in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $24.81Scary for those who fear: Germs; temper tantrums; shaping the minds of America’s youth.
- Crime Scene Investigator: There are 128,432 detectives and criminal investigators and forensic science technicians in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $36.32Scary for those who fear: Blood; the disappointment on people’s faces when you tell them the job is nothing like it is on TV.
- Animal Trainer: There are 32,360 animal trainer jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $12.24Scary for those who fear: Animal attacks; allergy flare-ups.
- Mortician: There are 27,505 mortician, undertaker and funeral director jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $23.13Scary for those who fear: Dead bodies; silence; zombie attacks.
- Radio, Cellular and Tower Equipment Installer and Repairer: There are16,213 radio, cellular and tower equipment installer and repairer jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $21.97.Scary for those who fear: Heights.
- Stand-Up Comedian: There are 37,272 jobs in the entertainers and performers, sports and related workers industry, which include comedians, in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $16.89Scary for those who fear: Public speaking; awkward silence.
- Parent: There are too many parent jobs in the U.S. to count.
Median hourly pay: Not nearly enough.