People with Rhode Island jobs fear this
Posted on November 5, 2014
According to a new survey from Careerbuilder, people who hold Rhode Island jobs, among other locations, fear these ten jobs the most.
Asked to choose from a list of the jobs they found the most frightful (or submit their own), workers provided the following answers – with some surprising results. Based on their selections, CareerBuilder pulled employment data for each occupation from Economic Modeling Specialists Intl. (EMSI) to show how many brave souls have taken on these roles and what they’re being paid.
10 Jobs That Strike Fear in American Workers’ Hearts
- Politician: There are 56,857 politicians/legislators in the U.S.
Median hourly pay (state and local level): $14.77
Average salary in 2014 (U.S. Senators and members of the House of Representatives): $174,000/yearScary for those who fear: Responsibility; accountability to a large number of people; rejection.
- Microbiologist for Infectious Diseases: In general, there are 20,800 microbiologists in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $33.27Scary for those who fear: Germs; Ebola; accidentally leaving the hazmat suit at home.
- Security Guard at Teen Pop Idol Concert: In general, there are 1,163,023 security guards in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $11.88Scary for those who fear: Getting trampled by screaming tweens.
- Kindergarten Teacher: There are 158,084 kindergarten teachers (non-special education) in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $24.81Scary for those who fear: Germs; temper tantrums; shaping the minds of America’s youth.
- Crime Scene Investigator: There are 128,432 detectives and criminal investigators and forensic science technicians in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $36.32Scary for those who fear: Blood; the disappointment on people’s faces when you tell them the job is nothing like it is on TV.
- Animal Trainer: There are 32,360 animal trainer jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $12.24Scary for those who fear: Animal attacks; allergy flare-ups.
- Mortician: There are 27,505 mortician, undertaker and funeral director jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $23.13Scary for those who fear: Dead bodies; silence; zombie attacks.
- Radio, Cellular and Tower Equipment Installer and Repairer: There are16,213 radio, cellular and tower equipment installer and repairer jobs in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $21.97.Scary for those who fear: Heights.
- Stand-Up Comedian: There are 37,272 jobs in the entertainers and performers, sports and related workers industry, which include comedians, in the U.S.
Median hourly pay: $16.89Scary for those who fear: Public speaking; awkward silence.
- Parent: There are too many parent jobs in the U.S. to count.
Median hourly pay: Not nearly enough.Scary for those who fear: Almost all of the above fears.