Rhode Island Retail Jobs Stacking Up
Posted on September 17, 2008
A Rhode Island retail job may be the way to go for those looking for a promising career.
Rhode Island employment overall is expected to increase by more than 55,000 jobs through 2014, when the total number of jobs should reach 573,437, an increase of 10.7 percent, or 55,292 jobs, from the 518,145 workers employed in 2004.
The retail trade industry currently employs about 53,000 workers, or about 10 percent of the state’s workforce, according to an article by the Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training. The Retail Trade industry is projected to grow by 10 percent, adding more than 5,200 jobs through 2014.
“Nearly half of all growth will be in motor vehicle and parts dealers, clothing and clothing accessories stores, and general merchandise stores,” the article notes. “These three industries are expected to add more than 2,400 new jobs. Motor vehicle and parts dealers will add nearly 800 jobs over the next 10 years resulting in substantial growth for parts and retail salespersons, stock clerks, truck drivers and freight, stock & material movers.
“General merchandise store retailers are projected to increase by 1,035 jobs or 10.3 percent, increasing the demand for retail salespersons, cashiers, and first line supervisors and managers of retail sales workers,” the article adds. “Above average job growth is also projected for electronics and appliance stores; non-store retailers; sporting goods, hobby, book, and music stores; miscellaneous store retailers; and building material and garden equipment supply dealers.”
It is expected retail trade employers will need to fill more than 22,250 jobs through 2014, 5,748, or 26 percent, from from economic growth and 16,505, or 74 percent, because of employee turnover. This will amount to about 2,225 positions each year that need to be filled.
Possible careers in the retail trade industry include positions with:
- motor vehicle and parts dealers with an average salary of $38,652
- furniture and home furnishings stores with an average salary of $26,555
- electronics and appliance stores with an average salary of $31,637
- building material and garden equipment with an average salary of $29,973
- food and beverage stores with an average salary of $18,801
- health and personal care stores with an average salary of $29,048
- gasoline stations with an average salary of $20,540
- clothing and clothing accessories stores with an average salary of $17,883
- sporting goods, hobby, book and music stores with an average salary of $16,492
- general merchandise stores with an average salary of $20,541
- miscellaneous retail stores with an average salary of $19,741
- non-store retailers with an average salary of $34,109